Sunday, August 11, 2013

Totakaashtakam - Eight Verses on Guru Adi Shankaraacharya by disciple Totakaacharya



A Hymn of Eight Verses
- Totakaacharya - disciple of Adi Sankara





Oh, Thou, knower of the entire ocean of milk of scriptures, He Who teaches the truths found in the great treasure chest of the Upanishads ! I meditate on Thy faultless feet. Be Thou my refuge, Oh, Master Sankara. (1)






Oh, Thou Ocean of compassion ! Save me whose heart is tormented by the misery of the sea of birth. Make me understand the truths of all schools of philosophy ! Be Thou my refuge, Master Sankara ! (2)






By Thee the masses have been made happy, Oh, Thou of noble intellect, skilled in the quest of Self-Knowledge ! Enable me to understand the wisdom relating to God and the Soul. Be Thou my refuge, Oh, Master Sankara! (3)




Knowing that Thou art verily the Supreme Lord, overwhelming  bliss arises in my heart. Protect me from the vast ocean of delusion.  Be Thou my refuge, Oh, Master Sankara!  (4)




Desire for the insight in unity through Thy Grace will grow only when virtuous deeds are in abundance - and in all directions. Protect this extremely helpless person. Be Thou my refuge, Master Sankara ! (5)





Oh Teacher ! For the purpose of saving the world the Great Ones take various forms and wander in disguise. Of these great Ones, You shine like the sun ! Be Thou my refuge, Oh, Master Sankara! (6)




Oh, Best of Teachers ! Supreme Lord Who has the sacred bull as His banner ! None of the wise Ones is equal to Thee! Thou are compassionate to those who take refuge in Thee! Thou treasure chest of Truth! Be Thou my refuge, Oh, Master Sankara! (7)






I do not understand correctly even a single "branch of knowledge".  I do not possess even the least bit of wealth, Oh Teacher, quickly bestow on me Thy Grace. Be Thou my refuge, Oh, Master Sankara! (8) 





--------

Prakarana Granthas

Seek Govinda! Author: Adi Shankaracharya

Self-Knowledge! Author: Adi Shankaracharya

Distinction between Knower -Known


Meditations on Self


totakaashtakam
Eight Verses on Guru

No comments:

Post a Comment